Last Wednesday Britton had a bad experience. A neighborhood dog decided to come into the yard and hang out. The kids really liked this dog because he was so big and fun to play with. Britton decided to play fetch with him. This big dog, which we named Giant, got so excited when Britton started throwing a ball for him. Unfortunately Giant got a bit too excited and just couldn't contain himself. Britton wasn't throwing the ball fast enough for him so he jumped on top of Britton, knocking him down. When he fell down he landed wrong and this is what his leg looked like.
(Not for the squeamish)
Here is Britton in the ER, patiently waiting for the doctor.
While in the ER they did a couple x-rays. It was a nice clean break in his femur! TOTALLY GROSS!! I REALLY DO NOT like these kinds of injuries! If legs, arms, fingers, toes, etc. are bending the wrong way, I get sick instantly. I didn't see what his leg even looked like till they cut his shorts off of him in the ER. I'd never make a good ER nurse!! Britton was such a stud though! Never even hardly cried the whole time. And I'm so grateful that Rowdy was home that day. He stays pretty calm in these situations. Me, I just get real sick real fast! But after sitting for a few hours in the ER, the doctor finally made it in to evaluate the situation. Surgery definitely had to be done but not until noon the next day! I just about fell out of my chair! I wanted Britton's leg fixed right at that moment, no waiting till the next day! But it had to wait till the next day because they had to order the pins for his leg. WHAT!! This is a hospital! They shouldn't have to put someone on hold because they have to order parts!!! But that's how it was. So Britton had to stay in the hospital that night. Thank goodness for MORPHINE and a great DAD to help him get through the night. The next day around noon they took him in for surgery. He was pretty nervous until they gave him a relaxer. He was happier than a little lark in the springtime! I think they should give the parents a bit of that happy juice. After an hour and a half went by, the doctor came in and described how easy everything went and that Britton was doing pretty good.
Soon after they wheeled him back into his room. It took awhile for him to snap out of the sleepiness. I had to take a few pictures of him before all the morphine wore off.
And this is gonna be his new buddy for a little while.
All in all this hasn't been totally terrible for Britton. He has had quite a few visitors who always seem to bring fun things for him to play with while he takes up space on the couch! Thanks everyone for coming to see Britton and for all the fun things you've all given him!
We finally got to bring him home yesterday afternoon. He's learning to use his walker and hopefully soon the crutches. He loves throwing orders out to everyone. And his sisters love it because he's confined to the couch for a while!!
Watch out for those big dogs!!







10 comments:
That poor kid! What a rotten way to end the summer. You're a good mom to take such good care of him and aren't hubbies great. What would we do without them!
So that new little stuff puppy- what are you going to name it? Giant?? Sorry about that experience- way to show the otherm kids what a tough kid you are! Hope you get feeling better
Wow, what a tropper! That had to be quite the experience for him, and no pins. Are you kidding me. Glad he is so tough. Good luck on the recovery, hopefully it will be quick.
I am so glad that Britton did so good. Hopefully he will heal fast and with no troubles. You are awesome Britton!
Okay, that leg was awful!! I don't know how he was so tough. I would have been balling my eyes out. Oh so sad! I am glad things went well! Talk soon! Have fun on the couch Britton! :)
Its me, Jaimie, I was signed in on the wrong account! :)
You are right. Those pics are not for the squemish!! It made my stomach turn. What a tough little trooper you have.
Poor kid! yeah that pic of his leg was crazy! I feel so bad for the little stinker!! Glad everything went smooth in surgery. I bet the girls are excited that he will not be able to torment them too much now. Hang in there MORT!
We are glad we got to come and see him in the hospital! He is one tough little cookie! I want to cry at the sight of those pictures! We all hope he gets better quick...school will be here before we know it!
Tough little trooper you guys have there! I don't know that I would be smiling for the camera if that were me! I think he is so dang cute! You guys are such an awesome family! Keep up the positive attitude it helps us all!
Post a Comment