Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Picture slideshow customized with Smilebox

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Grandpa Miller


My Grandpa Miller made his journey into the heavens last Thursday morning. He was feeding and watering his horses when he had a heart attack. Things just won't be the same without Grandpa around. We had a lot of fun times with Grandpa and never ending laughs. He is going to be missed greatly! But on a brighter note, I know that Grandpa is happy. I can only imagine the reunion he is having with Mom and the rest of his family. He also had lots of good cowboy friends that I know he was anxious to see again. Grandpa's personality was one of a kind. He was not only the greatest Grandpa, but an amazing teacher and my hero!

Grandpa loved listening to Johnny Cash. So I wrote down the words to one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs because it reminds me of Grandpa.
Lord, I've never lived where churches grow
I loved creation better as it stood
That day you finished it so long ago
And looked upon your work and called it good
I know that others find you in the light
That sifted down through tinted window panes
And yet I seem to feel you near tonight
In this dim, quiet starlight on the plains
I thank you, Lord, that I'm placed so well
That you've made my freedom so complete
That I'm no slave to whistle, clock or bell
Just let me live my life as I've begun
And give me work that's open to the sky
Make me a partner of the wind and sun
And I won't ask a life that's soft or high
Let me be easy on the man that's down
Let me be square and generous with all
I'm careless sometimes, Lord, when I'm in town
But never let them say I'm mean or small
Make me as big and open as the plains
And honest as the horse between my knees
Clean as the wind that blows behind the rains
Free as the hawk that circles down the breeze
Forgive me, Lord, if sometimes I forget
You know about the reasons that are hid
You understand the things that gall or fret
Well, you knew me better than my mother did
Just keep an eye on all that's done and said
And right me sometimes when I turn aside
And guide me on that long, dim trail ahead
That stretches upward toward the great divide.
-Johnny Cash-

I love you Grandpa and miss you!

4 comments:

Hailee said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandpa, you are one amazing lady Jamie and such an example to me. Keep up the positive attitude and remembering the happy moments and memories. take care and let me know if u need anything!

Marcy M Miller said...

Your grandpa was about as constant on the cow range as wind is in Idaho. I loved it when he would show up because I knew no matter how mad we were he would give us a laugh. I'm sure when he got upstairs there was a crowd waiting for a story and a laugh. he was one of the few that could make my grandpa tear up with laughter. Your grandpa is one of them that made me fill pretty darn proud to be a Miller.
Zak

Beth Winegar said...

I love and admire you so much. This is a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. You have such an eternal perspective. Keep moving forward.

johnandjana said...

Awesome post about your grandpa. He would be so proud of you and your sweet family.